In-depth, hands on courses are also offered at the FCN, which can range from 1 - 2 weeks. These courses explore the link between nature exposure and a variety of social issues. In the past, course have focused on sustainable development, corporate social responsibility, and community based natural resource management. Students from the USA have participated in courses which range from 5 - 11 days and are customized based on the needs of the group. Modules are currently being developed which will provide enhanced customization of courses depending on the needs and desires of a group. The modules will focus on the following topics:
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Community Natural Resource Management
- Indigenous Knowledge and Sustainable Development
- Was Gandhi an Environmentalist?
- Holistic Human Health (includes lesson on Ayurveda by an eminent practitioner)
- Pathways to Sustainable Consumption
- Plastics and Waste Management
- Water Issues in the Himalayas and beyond
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Resilient Mountain Living
- Applied Ethics
- Fair Trade
- Service Learning Project with the Village Community
- Learning Hindi and Cultural Orientation
Details for the Pathways to Sustainable Consumption module are below:
Programs are currently being developed to address sustainable development issues using nature connectedness and mindfulness. There is a wealth of research that links nature connectedness with mindfulness, and mindfulness with the adoption of ecologically responsible behaviors. Sustainable development is not only concerned with building more solar panels, or increasing energy efficiency, but with human behavior and sustainable consumption. The dominant values, beliefs, and lifestyles associated with consumer culture is perpetuating behaviors which are inconsistent with sustainable living. Transformation in the culture is necessary to achieve sustainability, and it can happen from the bottom up by focusing on individual values, beliefs and lifestyles. The courses offered at the Foundation for Contemplation of Nature will be innovative in the way nature connectedness and mindfulness are employed as tools for creating transformational change.
Details for the other modules will be uploaded as they become available.